Live Classroom Training
Solar Training - Newark, NJ & Solar PV School
6-Day Solar PV - Newark, NJ
This course covers the fundamentals of PV theory and applications, customer financing & ROI, system design & estimation, and hands-on installation of typical residential & commercial rooftop systems.
We're currently organizing dates for this course. Check back here soon!
Purchase any Live Course and receive a 10% discount on any Online Courses! Online Courses must be purchased in the same order as a Live Course.
Our most popular solar training course.
Approx. 35% hands-on labs, 25% classroom activities, 40% lecture
Captivating. Inspired. Engaging. Amazing. Enjoyable. These are just some of the words used by our alumni to describe our flagship Boot Camp. This magnificent 6-day event has been designed from scratch to create an unforgettable hands-on learning experience that will stand head and shoulders above any technical seminar that you have ever attended. Read on to understand why hundreds of students think that this is the most unique Solar PV course in the world.
What will you learn?
The Solar PV Boot Camp uses a blended mix of instructor-led training, hands-on labs, and computer-based software tools. You will learn solar-electric system design, installation, and safety procedures, plus business and industry topics important for professionals new to photovoltaics.
Our hands-on solar training labs cover the common steps of a residential solar electric retrofit. You will wire up inverters from a variety of manufacturers and mount solar panels on racking systems with roof penetrations and panel attachments. You will learn how to work with DC disconnects, inverters, AC disconnects, and load center/service panels to tie in with the utility. We will also demonstrate the connection of a live solar array feeding power into the grid. The techniques of PV financial estimation and system sizing & placement are taught using a combination of hands-on tools and software on Internet-connected PCs at each student's desk.
Who is it for?
This event is optimized for architects, engineers, licensed or journeyman electricians, general contractors, and other home-improvement contractors looking to add solar to their existing service offerings. Hundreds of solar enthusiasts have also taken this boot camp and have told us that they enjoyed the event greatly.
If you are unsure as to what is required in your state to install PV systems contact us to learn more. Call us toll-free at 877-604-0311.
Your tuition fee includes instruction, materials, text book, examination fee, labs and daily catered lunch on all 6 days. All students receive a course completion certificate on the last day. Students who pass the certification exam on the last day are also awarded the Certified Solar PV Professional certification.
What if you are not local?
If you don't live in Northern California or in the New York / New Jersey area, don't worry. Hundreds of students fly in to our locations for the boot camp. Both of our locations (east coast and west coast) feature an extensive subsidized travel package that includes hotel stay, free shuttle transportation from/to airport and breakfast+lunch on all days of the boot camp. Our students consistently report that they are delighted with the travel package.
INTRO TO PHOTOVOLTAIC SYSTEMS
- Introduction to Solar Energy and PV Systems
- Overview of Solar Industry
- PV Systems Grid-Tie and Off-grid
- Electricity Basics
- Power, Energy and Electricity
- Hands-on Lab: Measuring AC power
- Electricity Arithmetic
- PV System Components and Configurations
- Solar panels, inverters, mounting, BOS
- Solar Energy Fundamentals
- Sun - earth relationship, sun path
- Hands-on Lab: Orientation and tilt
- Hands-on Lab: The power of the sun, in Watts
- Solar Site Survey
- The elements of site survey
- Hands-on Lab: Site analysis. Roof measurement and Site Worksheet
- PV System Sizing
- Grid-Tie Systems
- Site factors affect performance
- Sizing the PV System, using manual and online tools
- Economic Analysis
- System Cost
- Electrical Integration
- Safety of DC and AC Power
- The main electrical components
- Hands-on Lab: Assemble Balance of System (BOS)
- Wire sizing, specifications and rating DC and AC
- Utility Integration
- Breaker sizing and the 120% Rule
- Utility and code regulations
- Next day objectives, homework
MAJOR COMPONENTS OF A PV SYSTEM
- PV cells, modules and arrays
- All about solar cells and modules
- Modules specifications: Watts, Voc, Isc, Vnominal
- IV curves, Series and parallel array circuits
- Hands-on Lab: Open circuit and IV curves
- Operation and Efficiency
- Model and size, Specifications
- Online sizing and performance tools
- Mechanical Integration
- Mounting Systems Options for Roof and Ground
- Roof loading Performance issues
- Hands-on Lab: Roof mount
PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER
- Commissioning, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
- Commissioning - Starting it up
- Maintenance, service, Trouble shooting common situations
- Performance Monitoring
- Jurisdiction and authority
- National Electrical Code NEC
- Safety (again)
- Live Installation
- Lab: Connect PV array to BOS and utility power
- Off-grid and remote power applications
- Batteries and charge controllers
- Back-up, Hybrid and Bimodal systems
THE BUSINESS OF SOLAR
- Energy and the Economy
- The Solar Industry
- Project Financials: Rebates, Tax Credits, Financing
- Know the Market for PV
- Your Business
- The Sales Process
- Closing the Sale
- Tracking Leads and Customers
- Estimates, Contracts and Proposals
- Define and reach your customers
- Marketing strategies
- Next steps
No prerequisites necessary.